This is a bit complicated. You'll notice that parts of the lyrics have not been translated.
Here's my judgment on the matter. A lot of times, old Russian songs start listing objects that commonly have associations with ideas and feelings. The same is not necessarily true for English. What's more, in this particular song these are older words closer to Ukrainian than Russian, and I have no idea how to translate them. So I left them.
I'll attempt some translations, though I'm not sure about them:
- Zor'ushka-zor'a = star, little star (a common way to start)
EDIT: I was reminded that zar'á or zór'ka (or zór'ushka) means dawn, zar'á becomes zór'a when the accent is shifted to the first syllable. I listened to the song again, and they indeed say zór'a, not zór'ka. - Rodnaja storonka = native country
- Vol'naja vol'a = free spirit
- Travy kovyl'a = certain grasses
- Kraj sineokij = blue-eyed land
- Bozhija obit'el' = God's dwelling
- Volodimir kn'az' = Vladimir I of Kiev
"Many a year to Russian soil" (Mnogaja l'eta Russkoj z'eml'e) roughly translates to "Long live Russia".
Zor'ushka-zor'a, rodnaja storonka
Vol'naja vol'a, travy kovyl'a,
'Bove fields, above forests
A young crane is singing, its song is heard from far.
Kraj sineokij, bozhija obit'el'
Flows right into your heart a nameless light.
'Bove fields, above forests, from there your guardian angel
Looks at the people on.
'Bove fields, above forests, from there your guardian angel
Looks at the people on.
* instrumental break *
It is said since early times, you shall not surrender
To the beast, but hear the bells when to God you've prayed.
Defending his homeland and the sacred doctrine,
Brought together people, Volodimir-kn'az'.
Defending his homeland and the sacred doctrine,
Brought together people, Volodimir-kn'az'.
In our veins flows the same blood, that was in our Fathers,
As before, the Raven's eye stares straight through our roofs
Defending our homeland, not to life, but to death
Triumphed over enemies, Volodimir-kn'az'.
Defending our homeland, not to life, but to death
Triumphed over enemies, Volodimir-kn'az'.
Many a year,
Many a year,
Many a year,
To Russian soil!
Many a year,
Many a year,
Many a year,
To Russian soil!
Kraj sineokij, bozhija obit'el'
Flows right into your heart a nameless light.
'Bove fields, above forests, from there your guardian angel
Looks at the people on.

No comments:
Post a Comment