Opinion: in regard to Not-a-Prom supporting third-party non-profit organizations

Today I was yet again struck by a difference of views, felt like I was alone in my opinion, and walked out of the RC for the first time since last May. I'm sorry if I was a jerk and wish to convey only that those in charge of the RC's Not-a-Prom reconsider their proposed plans: in light of moral considerations and the lasting impact of these plans on the RC's image, as well as on integrity of the RC community.

I'm talking about the plan to use part of the Not-a-Prom (annual student-run RC dance party) money to make a contribution to a non-profit organization of the students' choosing. I do not object to making a contribution to a NPO with a good cause. I do not object to altruism... in fact, I'm all for altruism, figuratively speaking. But I feel like the decision to vote for a single organization to donate to was taken light-heartedly. The following quote is from an e-mail that I recieved this March 10th:

We’ve decided to turn Not-a-Prom into a fundraiser this year. This means that a percentage of your ticket price will be donated, and there will be an opportunity to donate something extra (or donate but not attend, if you wish). At the event, you will have the opportunity to vote on where to donate the money.

I immediately thought: this seems wrong, but quickly forgot about it. Only today at the RC did I realize the need to address the issue.

Here is what I mean: a few students in the RC were discussing potential NPOs, and Planned Parenthood was briefly mentioned. Planned Parenthood is a pro-abortion organization and was discarded as a possible choice out of consideration for conservative students at the RC. And rightfully so. Imagine that you were pro-life and the pro-choice majority at the Not-a-Prom voted to donate the profits to Planned Parenthood. You would have as much reason to object as when a few of your tax dollars were at stake during the health care debate.

So, out of consideration for conservative students, Planned Parenthood was quickly dropped from discussion, and a unanimous decision was made to consider only non-controversial NPOs. There will no longer be serious opposition to any option on the table. Good, right?

No, not good. I strongly feel that, even if everyone in the RC agrees is willing to support a particular NPO, the following question must be answered before a donation is made:

Why is a group closely related to the RC supporting __X__?

Take the Red Cross, for example. Supporting the Red Cross seems like a good non-controversial cause. But no, it isn't non-controversial. No organization you may support will be non-controversial. Thus, by donating, you are supporting whatever cause you donate to. In fact, it you donate to X, you technically indirectly support anything that X does with your money. And whatever you support, is it what the RC stands for?

What does the RC stand for? I have frequented the RC lounge for two years. The lounge is a place for everyone, regardless of views. Some people study more, some less; some people are liberal, some are conservative; some people regard certain things as justifiable, others do not. On occasion we debate these questions, and I sometimes join the discussion, not supporting a side, but instead providing constructive arguments for both. Regardless, everyone's opinions are welcome. Everyone is welcome. It is not easy for me, then, to witness a decision that may disrupt this networking, a decision that people seem to agree with, but that nevertheless upsets what I feel the RC stands for.

Not everyone is welcome anymore when certain sides are supported, no matter how innocent they may sound. Not everyone is welcome when an RC group decides to aggregate money from people and donate it to a single organization. And not everyone will feel welcome after the RC stops being what it is now and becomes a big fundraiser for whatever people want to raise funds. That's not the RC as I know it. That's just not smart.

It is with this that I plead to the administrative body of the Not-a-Prom and other groups in a similar situation. Do not make the mistake made by so many. Do not ask individuals to donate to an unknown organization. Do not pick any sides. Do not support any cause beside the causes that are directly related to what the RC is. Leave the Red Cross and Haiti to support by individuals.

What is the RC?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I'm not sure what you're suggesting as an alternative to donation, Igor.

Igor Tolkov said...

The trivial alternative: do nothing. I don't see how doing nothing is a problem. If there is money left over, save it and lower fees for next year.

Anonymous said...

Or you could just complain. Think about what you're saying. Not-a-prom isn't a plan to offend someone; this isn't an attack (also, NAP is a silly acronym). The planning committee (was there a committee? I don't really know too much about who decided donating was a good idea, be it a single person or a group) clearly thought it was a good idea. And clearly they put thought into that decision. This is incredibly disrespectful to the planner(s). If you don't support the cause that the money is going to, or if anyone doesn't, they don't have to go. If someone doesn't want to go, so be it. They don't go. They can plan their own dance where they feel more comfortable. Nobody's forcing anyone to go, and, in turn, nobody's forcing anyone to pay for the ticket and donate to the cause. So shut up.

Igor Tolkov said...

jkasf, thank you for your comment. The reason I wrote this opinion is that I care about the RC community more than you do. I care enough to notice if something is wrong, and I feel like this is wrong. This is not just a matter of preference. I am not writing because I don't want to donate, but because I feel the plan will negatively impact the community in long-term.

If you want, I can address your main points, but you look too much like a troll right now with your language and the facts that:

* You don't seem to know what I am talking about.

* You registered your WordPress account just two minutes before posting your comment.

Anonymous said...

Igor,

While in many ways I understand where you are coming from, I respectfully disagree. Please allow me to explain the thought process behind donating, since it was in no way a decision that was made lightly.

It came to our attention that, depending on the number of people who purchased tickets, we might end up with extra money. However, it was too much of a gamble to lower prices even further, because we didn't want to risk coming up short. There were two options: donate any extra money, or save it for next year. We chose to donate the money, because as you mentioned, it is a good (even altruistic, to use your word) thing to do. There are many people all over the world who are significantly less fortunate than many of the students in the RC community. In addition, the earthquake in Haiti had just struck, and vast amounts of aide were, and still are, needed there.

It may help you to know that given the number of people who signed up, hardly any ($10 or so total from the 30 tickets purchased) will actually go to a non-profit, except what people specifically donated.

I apologize if this decision offended you in any way, it was never our intention to do so. However, I strongly feel that saying it will essentially ruin the RC community is a bit of an exaggeration. Nobody was forced to buy a ticket, and people knew that part of the price may be donated, depending on the number of people who came.
"And not everyone will feel welcome after the RC stops being what it is now and becomes a big fundraiser for whatever people want to raise funds. That's not the RC as I know it. That's just not smart."
Again, this feels like an exaggeration and an unnecessary attack. The RC is not turning into a fundraiser, we are merely donating any extra profit we end up with, because it is always good to help those less fortunate than ourselves.

Luc said...

Hey whats up Igor
I was the person who suggested Planed Parenthood, I didn't suggest it as a serious proposition but rather as a joke

sorry for the confusion
L.