Translation

Here is a second draft of a translation into English of a Russian poem: "Ballade of a smoke-filled carriage" ("Баллада о прокуренном вагоне") by Alexander Kochetkov, 1935. The original is best enjoyed with soundtrack from the Russian movie Irony of Destiny where the poem appears.

As for the translation, I tried to keep the rhythm and choice of words to the best of my ability. I did not preserve the rhyme.

How painful, dear, it is, how awkward,
Rooted in earth, entwined in branches;
How painful, dear, it is, how awkward,
To split in two beneath a saw.
My injured heart will not recover,
But empty out in purest tears;
My injured heart will not recover,
But empty out in flaming sap.

Long as I live, I will be with you:
Spirit and blood cannot be parted;
Long as I live, I will be with you
For love and death exist beside.
You will bear with yourself, my loved one,
You will bear with you everywhere,
You will bear with you everywhere
Your dear house, your cherished land.

But what if I have nothing with me
To shield me from unhealing sorrow;
But what if I have nothing with me
To shield from darkness and from cold?
There is reunion after parting;
Do not forget of me, my loved one;
There is reunion after parting;
We will come back, both, you and I.

And if, without a trace, I vanish;
Too short be light of daylight falling;
And if, without a trace, I vanish
Beyond the stars, galactic dust?
Then I will pray for you, my loved one,
That the celestial path will guide you;
Then I will pray for you, my loved one,
That you come back, come home unharmed.

Thrashed up inside a smoke-filled carriage,
He turned to homeless and humble;
Thrashed up inside a smoke-filled carriage,
He was half-crying, half-asleep,
And on one downgrade, sharply turning,
The cars rolled terribly and twisted;
And on one downgrade, sharply turning,
The train ripped wheels up from wet tracks...

Unhuman and unyielding power,
In one amass all living cripling;
Unhuman and unyielding power
Tossed out the earthly from the earth.
And no being was protected
By the long-promised reuniting,
And no being was protected
By hands that beckoned from afar.

Not for a moment part with loved ones,
Not for a moment part with loved ones,
Not for a moment part with loved ones,
With all your blood grow into them;
And always say farewell forever,
And always say farewell forever,
And always say farewell forever
When for a second you must leave!

No comments: