For some reason I decided to upgrade to Fedora Core 9 today, thinking that the bugs have been fixed and the NVIDIA drivers are there. I ran Fedora's preupgrade, then rebooted, waited for 1062 packages to be installed. Finally, the installer finished (no errors reported) and asked me to reboot my machine again.
So, I started Fedora again, waited for it to boot, it displayed the graphical login screen, detected my graphics card - no problem there. I type my username, password, hit return: the login window disappears, then after a few seconds the screen goes black momentarily and thelogin window pops up again - something resembling a reboot of the x-server.
Eventually I login on terminal 1, run yum, intending to update, and yum gives the following error:
There was a problem importing one of the Python modules required to run yum. The error leading to this problem was: libnss3.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory Please install a package which provides this module, or verify that the module is installed correctly. It's possible that the above module doesn't match the current version of Python, which is: 2.5.1 (r251:64863, June 15 2008, 23:59:20) [GCC 4.1.2 20070925 (Red Hat 4.1.2-33)]
Great. Turns out I am not the only one having this problem. So, yum does not work and rpm does not work for the same reason. I've e-mailed a friend asking for help; he has yet to respond.
To summarize: Fedora is broken until further notice and if I don't get it fixed soon I'll be looking into those virtual machines to get SAGE going. Or maybe install SAGE on a spare laptop running Ubuntu.

No comments:
Post a Comment