I am falling back to a fresh install.
After booting live from a spare laptop and copying the necessary libraries I had rpm working, but there were still a lot of Python problems. Eventually, I forced an install of Python (.fc9), and yum worked after that. I ran "yum upgrade -y --exclude=<pyvault file that ended in .fc4 and caused dependency problems>", yum updated 341 or so files, and updated the kernel. I thought I were done, so I rebooted the system.
I don't remember the exact numbers because I am writing this on Windows after FC9 broke again. This time it was not a partially-upgraded FC8, but an incomplete FC9 - the NVIDIA driver wasn't there, and there were Python problems everywhere. Yum could not find the module rpm. Great.
My advice to anyone who is considering upgrading from FC8 to FC9: preupgrade is most likely broken and you may have problems. At least backup your filesystem, so if anything goes wrong you can revert.
I think I'll get myself another pet tonight.

No comments:
Post a Comment